What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a strength & conditioning program. CrossFit 1904 is a community of people committed to making each other better; not only in the gym, but also in life! More detail on the history of CrossFit here.
The CrossFit 1904 Fitness Program focuses on 'Balanced Fitness' via the 10 general physical skills:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance - The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina - The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility - The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed - The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination - The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility - The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance - The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy - The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
We then use all of these skills in the form of functional movements, constantly varied workouts, and execute them at varied intensity levels throughout any given week.
Is CrossFit safe at my age?
CrossFit is for individuals of all ages committed to achieving personal fitness goals. We currently have athletes that train at CrossFit 1904 from ages 19 to 75 in our adult classes (3-14 in our kids program). Age is just a number and it does not dictate your abilities or your potential!
Do I need to get in shape first?
Absolutely not! One of the most frequently asked questions and misconceptions of CrossFit. With CrossFit being a constantly varied program that focuses on the 10 general physical skills mentioned above, the only way to "get in shape for CrossFit" is to come to our facility and let us teach you how to progress into our program the safe, proper way.